DISCLOSURE: Noelle Copeland RDH is an Oral Care Specialist and Dental Consultant who provides content for Brilliant Oral Care and Baby Buddy.
Your tongue is actually a digestive organ that helps to strategically move around your food while you chew, and it aids the process of swallowing that food. The tongue is pretty impressive, especially considering that it functions as a built-in sweeper, removing food and debris all around the mouth. Imagine how annoying it would be to feel food that’s stuck in the pits and grooves of your teeth or the vestibule of your cheek yet not be able to dislodge it with your tongue. It would be difficult to eat, talk, or even kiss if you didn’t have a tongue! Not only is your tongue a muscle that hosts thousands of taste buds, but those taste buds also connect with nerves that talk directly to your brain, sending signals of sweet, sour, bitter, and salty. All of that is pretty amazing for such a small member, so show your tongue some love and brush it every day while considering some of these reasons why brushing your tongue should be a part of your regular oral care routine.
- Brushing the tongue helps control stinky breath by removing plaque and bacteria from the grooves based within the dorsum of the tongue. When the tongue isn’t cleaned daily, buildup can occur that traps odor contributing to halitosis or bad breath.
- The tongue has little papillae that can trap and harbor food particles, stains, and bacteria.
- If you don’t brush your tongue, you’re more prone to cavities and dental infections.
- Not only should you brush your tongue but you may need to use a tongue scraper. A tongue scraper can remove more build-up and bacteria and is especially useful for those suffering from chronic halitosis, stain, geographic tongue, or fissured tongue.
- Last but not least, it’s just part of a good oral care routine. Brush your teeth, brush your tongue, floss your teeth, rinse if needed and repeat every day.
If you were looking for better and healthier ways to establish an effective home care routine, you found the right place. If you want the best toothbrush for kids, adults, or that special someone in your life, look no further than Brilliant Oral Care. Our round head toothbrush not only removes the plaque on teeth, it simultaneously cleans and removes the plaque and bacteria found on the cheeks, gums, teeth, and tongue. It’s the softest toothbrush for sensitive teeth and gums. Don’t forget to #BRUSHBRILLIANT.
© 2021 Compac Industries. All rights reserved. This article provides information about “oral health topics” as expressed through the perspective and experience of the author. The information provided does not substitute professional advice or counsel, including diagnosing or treating any condition. Always seek the advice of your dentist or another qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition, an oral condition, an illness, or treatment of any listed or unlisted situation above. By using this site, you signify your assent to our Terms and Conditions. If you do not agree to all of these Terms and Conditions, do not use this site.
Noelle Copeland RDH is an Oral Care Specialist and Dental Consultant who provides content for Brilliant Oral Care and Baby Buddy.